SOFTWARE PACKAGES FOR LIBRARY AUTOMATION:
Library Automation refers to the use of computers to serve the needs of library users. The operations of a library get a quantum jump with the introductions of computers. The computers help to provide fast and reliable access to the resources available in the library as well as elsewhere. The application of computers in the library operations avoids repetitive jobs and saves lot of labour, time, speeds up operations, increases use of library resources. Computers are not only used as a tool for processing the data, but also for data storage and accessing. Planning for an automated system, no matter how big or small, should be part of an overall long-range plan for the library. Automation should always be used as a means to achieve overall better patron service. Careful planning for technology will assure that your automation project is "sustainable", i.e. enhances the organization's ability to meet its service mission without disrupting the organizational stability of the institution.
The present scenario of library worldwide is:
- vastly expanded storage of indexes, statistical data bases, and document databases within the library;
- full-text storage of documents, complete with full-text keyword searching and on-demand printing;
- access by users to library databases from home or office, with direct downloading of information and text on demand
- the ability to access remote databases across the country and the world, and to download information and text on demand;
- storage of pictorial and graphic material; and,
- availability of "intelligent systems" providing transparent, one-step searching and access to various library in-house and remote databases.